NSCC.edu is dedicated to giving you the information most relevant to you. By setting your site preferences, we can customize the site to best fit your needs.
There is an evacuation and safe area plan in place. This plan is presented by Nashville State Community College Safety and Security, along with the Emergency Procedures Committee and was prepared in consultation with Scott Harris, Response Coordinator of the Mayor’s Office of Emergency Management, and Cecil Whaley, Director of Natural Hazards for the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency.
In the event of an evacuation, each department head is to make sure his or her suite is clear before leaving. Each department head is to designate an alternate in case he or she is not available. Teachers are to do the same for their classrooms. The safe areas will be posted in classrooms.
A-Building Evacuation: Exit doors leading to rear parking lot.
C-Building Evacuation: Out back or side exit doors to rear parking lot.
D-Building Evacuation: Out rear exit doors to rear parking lot.
E-Building Evacuation: Out back or side exit doors to parking lot.
H-Building Evacuation: Out exit doors to rear parking lot.
K-Building Evacuation: Out front exit doors to rear parking lot.
PEG TV Studio Evacuation: Out front exit door to rear parking lot.
S-Building Evacuation: Out exit doors to rear parking lot.
W-Building Evacuation: W-98 hallway exit doors and hallways leading to the rear parking lot.
In the event of a tornado warning within five miles of the college's main campus the NSCC alarm system will be activated. Emergency Team Members have been assigned to all buildings and will ensure that all building occupants are notified.
In the event of a safe-area situation (i.e., tornado), the following message will be heard:
“May I have your attention please! The National Weather Service has issued a severe weather warning for our area. Please proceed to assigned safe areas.”
The Safety and Security Office closely monitor all weather situations. Please understand that our security office has access to the same weather information as other agencies.
A-Building Safe Areas: All three A-Building restrooms and the center of long hallways
C-Building Safe Areas: Lower level hallways and restrooms
D-Building Safe Areas: Interior office hallways (D-39/D-42 and D-34/D-37), and all inner offices
E-Building Safe Areas: All restrooms
H-Building Safe Areas: First Floor
H-Building Safe Areas: Second Floor
K-Building Safe Areas: Downstairs restrooms and lower inner hallways, K-120 (both A & B sections)
PEG TV Studio Safe Areas: All restrooms
W-Building Safe Areas: W-40 thru W-69 hallway and adjacent interior office area. W-91 thru W-88 hallway. Also restrooms off Main Lobby.
S-Building Safe Areas: First Floor
S-Building Safe Areas: Second Floor
Employees and others from the Second Floor will be disbursed into the following First Floor areas:
1. According to weather forecasts, conditions may be right tomorrow (or later today) for tornado activity in our area. Therefore, this bulletin is an early notification so that you can make preparations here and at home.
2. Some common directives include:
3. Be aware of safe areas for all the buildings on campus and the suggested safest area in each building. In most cases, those areas will be the lowest possible floor of your building. If you have a question or your building is not listed, call Safety & Security at 353-3273.
4. Supervisors/Faculty: Review with your class or staff, which is the best way to reach the designated safest area in your building. Emphasize the importance of remaining calm.
5. Directors/Supervisors: Take 5 minutes with your people today to:
6. Faculty: Please plan ahead for assignments/classroom work in case your class is interrupted tomorrow by an evacuation team member with a tornado warning or, in extreme circumstances, the campus should be closed. The closing of the campus is issued from the President's Office.
PLEASE COVER ALL YOUR BASES TODAY SO THAT YOU, YOUR WORK ASSOCIATES AND YOUR STUDENTS ARE WELL INFORMED AND SUFFICIENTLY PREPARED.
Nashville State Community College is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Full Non-Discrimination Policy