Text Only Version

Site Preferences

NSCC.edu is dedicated to giving you the information most relevant to you. By setting your site preferences, we can customize the site to best fit your needs.


Create Your Connections

Student Resources

Student TestimonialNashville State is the best choice because it offers a variety of courses at reasonable prices. I enjoy working in smaller class sizes, because I can focus much better on my tasks.

Anthony, Surgical Technology

Graduation FAQ

1. How do I apply for Graduation?
A. Download an Intent to Graduate packet (PDF) or pick up the packet outside the Records Office door.
B. Complete the packet by following the instructions on the top page.
C. Submit the completed Intent to Graduate packet to the Records Office prior to the filing deadline.

2. When are Intent to Graduate forms due?
Graduation Deadlines are always in the college catalog and on the Web site. The standard deadline for filing an intent to graduate for each prospective graduation term is the last day to withdraw from classes for the term prior. For example, if you were filing an intent to graduate for Spring 2016, the deadline would be October 28, 2015 as that is the last day to withdraw for Fall 2015.

    2015–2016 Deadlines for Filing Graduation Intents
    Fall 2015: July 15, 2015
    Spring 2016: October 28, 2015
    Summer 2016: March 28, 2016

3. I missed the deadline to file my Intent to Graduate. What do I do?
You must file for the following semester. It is the student’s responsibility to file their Intent to Graduate on time. Deadlines are posted in the catalog and on the NSCC Web site.

4. I filed my Intent to Graduate, but did not finish my classes before the end of the term for which I filed. How can I graduate now?
You must complete the Update to Intent to Graduate form. The form is available on the table outside the Records Office. If you have not been continually enrolled for more than one year, you must also submit an Application for Readmission and graduate under the current catalog.

5. I am completing two degrees of the same type. What paperwork do I need to complete and will I receive two diplomas?
If you have completed or are in the process of completing one Associates of Applied Science (AAS) degree and you wish to receive a second AAS, you must have filed an Intent to Graduate packet for your first AAS degree. You must then obtain an “Intent to Complete a Second Major/Concentration” form from the Records Receptionist. Complete the form and return it to the receptionist. Your completion of a second major will be designated on your transcript, but you will not receive a degree or certificate for the second major.

In accordance with Tennessee Board of Regents and Nashville State Community College policy, you may only receive one Associates of Science (AS) or one Associates of Arts (AA) degree. No paperwork for completion of a second major under these areas can be file.

You may receive an unlimited number of Technical Certificates, but you must complete the Intent to Graduate packet for each certificate. You will receive a separate paper certificate for each program.

6. How do I know which catalog I am using to meet my requirements?
You are eligible to use any catalog that has been active since the major for which you are filing your Intent was placed on your file. For example, if you entered the school as an AS-Biology major in Fall 2004 and you are Graduating in Spring 2008 under the AS-Biology program, you are eligible to use any catalog that was active for the terms between Fall 2004 and Spring 2006. However, if you entered the school in Fall 2003 as an AS-Biology major, changed your major to AA-English in Spring 2005 and you are graduating from the AA-English program in Spring 2008, you are only eligible to use the catalogs that fall between Spring 2006 and Spring 2008. If you are unsure of which catalog you have been following, contact your academic advisor.

7. Do I need to take any graduation exams?
The General Education exit exam is required of all students completing an Associates of Arts (AA), Associates of Science (AS), or Associates of Applied Science (AAS) program. Technical Certificate students are exempt. You should obtain information from the Testing Center concerning the General Education exit exam as a part of completing your Intent to Graduate Packet.

AAS and Technical Certificate students should contact their program departments as a part of completing their Intent to Graduate packets to inquire about a Departmental Exit Exam.

8. Registration for my last semester is about to begin and I haven’t received my Graduation Evaluation from the Graduation Analyst. What do I do?
Every Graduation Evaluation must be performed by hand, and unfortunately, these are very time consuming. If you have not received your evaluation, make an appointment to meet with your advisor and take the courses your advisor indicates you still need to complete.

9. What if my Graduation Evaluation includes courses my advisor said were not required?
When you get your Graduation Evaluation, consult your advisor about any discrepancies that may appear. There may be a simple piece of paperwork (substitution, waiver, work experience, etc) that can be submitted to fulfill the requirement. Your advisor will have access to all necessary forms.

10. What is the minimum GPA I must obtain before I graduate with a degree?
All potential graduates must obtain a minimum 2.0 GPA in college-level course work prior to receiving their degree.

11. What GPA’s determine honors?
Summa Cum Laude 3.90 - 4.00
Magna Cum Laude 3.75 - 3.89
Cum Laude 3.50 - 3.74

12. Will my diploma and transcript state that I graduated with honors?
Yes. Your honors designation becomes a permanent part of your Nashville State Community College record and will be denoted on both your transcript and your diploma.

13. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa. Will this be listed on my diploma?
Phi Theta Kappa membership is not printed on your diploma; however, your Phi Theta Kappa membership will be denoted on your transcript. There is a seal available for Phi Theta Kappa members to place on their diploma. You will need to contact the advisor of Phi Theta Kappa for more information.

14. What are the diploma dimensions?
Diplomas are 8.5” X 11”

15. How does my name appear on the diploma or certificate?
Your name will appear exactly as you have listed it on your Intent to Graduate form. The name you write must match what is in the Student Information System. If your name changes after you file your Intent to Graduate, you must submit legal documentation of the name change to the Records Office, along with an Update to Intent to Graduate form.

16. After I have completed all courses, how do I receive my diploma?
Your diploma will be mailed through the United States Postal Service (USPS) to the address listed on your Intent to Graduate form. If you prefer to pick your diploma up, you must contact the Records Office prior to the end of classes for the semester in which you are graduating. No diplomas are handed out during the graduation ceremony.

17. When will I receive my diploma?
Your diploma will be ready approximately 3-4 weeks after the end of courses for the term in which you are graduating. The time delay is necessary to allow for the submission of final grades and the hand processing of your final degree checkout. A letter will be sent to students who have not completed all graduation requirements at the time of their final degree checkout.

18. There is a hold on my account from the Bursar’s Office. Can I still graduate?
No. You must fulfill all Business and Library requirements before you can obtain your degree or copies of your transcript.

19. If I lose my diploma can I get a new one?
Yes, a new diploma can be obtained by paying a $15.00 replacement fee to the Bursars Office and completing the Replacement Diploma form, available in the Records Office. You should receive your replacement diploma approximately 2-3 weeks after the form and fee have been received.

20. When will the ceremony for my graduating term take place?
The ceremony will only occur once per year, as listed in the Academic Calendar. The graduation ceremony includes students who are finishing their degrees in the Fall and Spring prior to the ceremony, as well as students who will be finishing their degree in the Summer following graduation. For example, students finishing their degrees in Fall 2015, Spring 2016, and Summer 2016 will participate in the May 2016 graduation ceremony.

21. How do I order my cap and gown, announcements, and/or a class ring?
The Nashville State Community College bookstore will be handling arrangements for the ordering of announcements, class rings, and caps and gowns. Details will be posted on campus and on the Web site as they become available.

22. What activities are associated with the graduation ceremony?
Graduates are honored at a graduation reception, which is usually held on the Nashville State campus. A rehearsal for the graduation ceremony takes place in the afternoon before the ceremony.

23. I do not want to participate in the graduation ceremony. Who do I contact?
In the Spring prior to the graduation ceremony, you will receive a letter in the mail concerning the graduation ceremony. The letter will include the proper instructions on how to notify the appropriate personnel if you will not be attending the ceremony. Contact information for the Records Office: 615-353-3218 or .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

24. Where can I go to receive help in obtaining a job after graduation?
The Career Services Office in S-206 (2nd floor of the Student Services Center) can assist you in locating employment in your field of study.

Web Site Design by Paramore | the digital agency

Nashville State Community College is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities. Full Non-Discrimination Policy