When Walking or Jogging
- Go with someone.
- Stay away from isolated areas.
- Try to stay near street lights.
- Hold your purse or briefcase tightly and close to your body.
- Place your wallet in your front pocket rather than your back pocket.
- Dress sensibly. Tight pants, clogs, or heels make movement difficult.
When in a Car
- Keep doors locked while driving.
- Don’t pick up hitchhikers.
- Check the back seat before getting into a car.
If You are Being Followed
- Cross the street or change directions.
- Keep looking back so the person knows you can’t be surprised.
- Go to a well-lighted area; enter a store, house, residence hall, classroom or library — anywhere there are people.
- Notice and remember as much as possible about the person so you can give a good description later.
If You are Held Up
- Don’t resist. No amount of money is worth taking chances with your life.
- Notify campus security or the local police immediately.
- Try to give a description that includes approximate age, height, weight, and details on hair, clothing, jewelry, scars, tattoos, or anything else that is noticeable.
If You are Working Late
- Keep your office door locked.
- Lock all doors behind you when entering or exiting at night.
- Inform Security.
Protect Personal and College Property
- Lock your door every time you leave.
- Engrave expensive equipment and valuables with an ID number.
- Don’t store your purse in an unlocked desk drawer.
- Don’t leave your belongings unattended in libraries, hallways, locker rooms, or classrooms.
Protect Your Vehicle
- Always lock your vehicle and take the keys.
- Lock valuables in the trunk.
- Park in well lighted areas.
Other Important Safety Tips
- Don’t hitchhike.
- Report suspicious activity and vandalism immediately to the Security Office at 615-353-3273 or 615-353-3272.