SDS, Student, and Faculty Responsibilities
Responsibilities of Student Disability Services Office
- Provide qualified students the rights guaranteed under ADA
- Arrange, coordinate, and provide disability-related support services to students
- Advise faculty and staff on appropriate accommodations for students
- Assist in planning for accessible campus facilities
- Assess adaptive technological needs of students with disabilities and make possible recommendations
- Provide disability awareness training
- Advocate issues on behalf of students with disabilities with the institute
- Respect the confidentiality of the student
- Encourage students towards self-advocacy
Responsibilities of the Faculty and Staff
- Support the Office of Student Disability Services in carrying out appropriate accommodations and in learning about the individual student’s needs
- Refer students who could benefit from Student Disability Services
Responsibilities of the Student
- Voluntarily and confidentially disclose information regarding the nature and extent of a disability. The college does not assume responsibility for providing accommodations or services to students who have not identified themselves as having a qualifying disability.
- Register with the Office of Student Disability Services by providing documentation of the qualifying disability. Documentation can be medical, educational, psychological, or other appropriate evaluative information.
- Set up an appointment to complete accommodations sheets.
- Contact instructors for any accommodations necessary by supplying an accommodations sheet indicating individual needs. Accommodations are made only if documentation is on file in the Office of Student Disability Services.
- Modifications and/or accommodations required by students may differ depending upon the nature of the student’s disability.
- Meet weekly or bi-weekly with liaison to problem solve, as needed.
- Work continuously toward self-advocacy.
- Accept the responsibility of learning and becoming aware of the disability.
- Plan ahead.