Michigan Plus Test
Are you a new student and your first/home language is not English?
You need to take the Michigan Plus Test before you can take classes.
All NEW students who do not have English as their first/home language MUST take the Michigan Test before registering for classes. The test is FREE to students. It is designed to evaluate the English proficiency of non-native English speakers.
What is the Michigan Plus Test?
This is a test for non-native English speakers. It is a FREE English placement test.
How long is the Michigan Plus Test?
It is 2 ½ hours long. Be prepared to stay for the entire 2 ½ hours.
What is on the test?
There are five sections:
- Reading & vocabulary
What are the test sections like?
- For speaking, you will have a short conversation (oral interview) with the testing person.
- You will have a short conversation (oral interview) with the testing person for the speaking section.
- For listening, grammar, reading, and vocabulary, you will answer multiple choice questions.
- You will answer multiple choice questions for the listening, grammar, reading and vocabulary sections.
- For writing, you will choose a topic from a list. Then you will write about your topic.
- You will choose a topic from a list. Then you will write about your topic for the writing section.
Where can I take the test?
Important things you must do BEFORE taking the test:
- Submit your NSCC application for admission.
- Submit all required documents for admission.
Things to do on the day of the Michigan Plus Test:
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Bring a photo ID and your student ID number. You get your student ID (A#) when you submit your application for admission.
- Be prepared to stay in the testing room for 2 ½ hours.
Michigan Plus Test Dates
The test takes approximately 2.5 hours and is made up of five sections: speaking, listening, grammar, reading and writing. The speaking section is a short oral interview with the test administrator. The listening, grammar, and reading sections are a standardized multiple-choice test. There are three topics to choose from for the writing portion. You must submit your NSCC application for admission BEFORE taking the Michigan Test. You must submit all required documentation for admission BEFORE taking the Michigan Test.
You must bring a photo ID and your student ID number (assigned when you submit your application for admission to the Admissions office). Please arrive 10 minutes early.
January 2 Update
All Michigan Tests are full for Spring 2018.
To take a test in January, you must:
- Complete an admissions application to the college for Spring 2018.
- Submit all required documents and identification.
- Take the Accuplacer Math test (if needed).
To be added to the waitlist for January tests, contact:
- Terry Seeley
Terry.Seeley@nscc.edu or 615-353-3347
- Wendy Dierberger
Wendy.Dierberger@nscc.edu or 615-353-3380
You will be on the waitlist until you have completed the list above. Once you complete all of the requirements, you will be added to a test.
Contact Wendy Dierberger, ESL Coordinator
Office Hours: 8:00am–4:30pm
Main Campus Mon, Wed, Thurs: Office D-17
D Building; 615-353-3380
Southeast Campus Tues, Fri: Room 1502