General Prohibition Against Discrimination, Harrassment, and Sexual Misconduct
I. General Policy
II. Applicable Policies and Procedures
I. General Policy
It is the intent of Nashville State Community College that no individual shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ethnic or national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, age (as applicable), status as a covered veteran, genetic information, and any other category protected by federal or state civil rights law. In promulgating this policy statement it is the College’s intent to fully comply with:
- Executive Order 11246, as amended;
- the Rehabilitation Act of 1973;
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990;
- the Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, as amended;
- the Equal Pay Act of 1963, as amended;
- the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended;
- the Age Discrimination Act of 1975;
- the Pregnancy Discrimination Act;
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as amended;
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act as amended;
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, §485(f) of the HEA, as amended by §304 of the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, the regulations implementing these Acts found at 34 CFR §668.41, §668.46, and Appendix A to Subpart D of Part 668; and
- Sections 799A and 845 of the Public Health Service Act and Regulations issued pursuant thereto found at 45 CFR Parts 83 and 86, as well as all applicable state statutes and all regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
The purpose of this policy is to supplement TBR Policies:
- 5:01:02:00 Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action,
- 6:01:00:00 Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment or Sexual Misconduct,
- 6:02:00:00 Sex Discrimination and Sexual Harassment,
- 6:03:00:00 Sexual Misconduct, and
- TBR Guideline P-080 Discrimination & Harassment - Complaint & Investigation Procedure.
All students and employees are subject to this policy. Any faculty member, student or staff found to have violated this policy by engaging in behavior constituting discrimination or harassment will be subject to disciplinary action which may include expulsion, termination or other appropriate sanction.
All students and employees are required to cooperate with investigations of alleged discrimination or harassment unless otherwise provided by law. Failure to cooperate may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination. Students are also required to cooperate with these investigations. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action up to and including expulsion, termination or other appropriate sanction.
Because Nashville State takes its responsibilities in this area seriously, it provides periodic training and education to employees and students regarding conduct that could violate this policy. All employees and students are expected to participate in such education and training. Further, all employees and students are encourage to engage in reasonable, necessary, and safe bystander intervention to prevent and discourage all types of discrimination and harassment.