Students from around the globe.

Nashville State Community College accepts students who are citizens or permanent residents of a country other than the United States. We offer several ways to help you become a part of the community here at Nashville State. From courses created for foreign-language speaking students to organizations for all sorts of interests, we want you to feel right at home. Welcome to Nashville.

Responsibilities Before Applying

All international students must:

  • Comply with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations
  • Complete the Special Registration Alien’s Change of Address Card within 10 days of such change including arrival in the United States.
    You may obtain this form from the Information Desk in the Student Services Building.

Address to Send Documents

NSCC Office of Admission
120 White Bridge Pike
Nashville, TN 37209

International Students Steps to Apply

  1. Submit an NSCC application.
    Summer and Fall 2023 applications are open now.
    Apply Online
    Download a PDF application
  2. Submit the required international student forms.
    Before an I-20 can be sent to you, complete and send in the following forms:
    International Student Information Form
    Financial Declaration for International Students
  3. Request official copies of school records.
    NSCC will need official copies of academic records of attendance from secondary schools, colleges, or universities accompanied by a certified English translation of these documents.

    We do not automatically award credit from international colleges. However, if you feel the course content is equivalent to a course taught at the same level at NSCC, you may submit an educational credential evaluation and course descriptions. These evaluations MUST come from an agency that is a member of the NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). Students are responsible for contacting the evaluation agency and requesting a course-by-course evaluation, including a calculated grade point average. Students are also responsible for any fees associated with translations and evaluations. The following is a list of some evaluation agencies but not limited to (Nashville State does not endorse any particular agency and the college cannot guarantee the accuracy, quality, or availability of the agencies on the list. If you find an error please let us know.)
    • Academic Evaluation Services, Inc.
    • Education Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
    • Joseph Silny & Associates, Inc.
    • SpanTran: The Evaluation Company (Use this SpanTran link for a customized application for Nashville State ensuring you select the correct evaluation at a discounted rate.)
    • World Education Services, Inc. (WES)
    Additional NACES Members

    Upon receipt of the educational credential evaluation, the Records Office will distribute your request to the academic division for evaluation. If your coursework is approved by the academic division, you will be awarded a transfer for credit of the approved course(s).
  4. Take any required tests.
    To help fill any gaps and get you up to speed on our courses, you may be required to complete tests before enrolling.

    Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
    Associate degree seeking international students must pass this test with a minimum score of 500 on the paper test, 173 on the in-person computer test or a 61 on the Internet test. If you graduated from a U.S. high school or completed course work at another U.S. college or university, you may not have to take the TOEFL. If you are not seeking a degree, you are not required to submit TOEFL scores.

    NSCCC TOEFL code: 1149

    Michigan Plus Language Proficiency Test or the math portion of the Accuplacer
    Required of all international students. Non-degree ESL students will take the Michigan Plus test for placement in ESL courses.
  5. Provide proof you can pay.
    We will need satisfactory evidence that you are financially capable to meet the expenses involved while studying at NSCC. All F-1 status students must also complete our provided form that includes your intent to attend the college full-time (12 or more credit hours per semester) and states that no employment will be required.

    International students will pay out-of-state fees and are not eligible for Title IV funding.
  6. Complete the medical requirements.
    Must provide 2 doses of the Measles, Mumps, and Rubella Immunization. Must provide 2 doses of the Varicella Immunization.

    Certificate verifying freedom from tuberculosis
    Send this certificate from a licensed physician or other medical authority to the Office of Admission within 30 days from the first day of classes to continue enrollment.

    Proof of enrollment in the TBR Student /Scholar Health & Accident Insurance Plan (F-1 only)
    All foreign non-immigrant students with F-1 visas must enroll in this plan as a condition of admission and continued enrollment.
  7. Provide proof of lawful residence.
    We will need all documentation proving U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service status from all but F-1 students.
    See a list of acceptable documentation.