NSCC English Placement Test (Michigan Plus Test)
Are you a new student and your first/home language is not English?
You need to take the NSCC English Placement Test before you can take classes.
All NEW students who do not have English as their first/home language MUST take the NSCC English Placement Test (formerly the Michigan Plus Test) before registering for classes. The test is FREE to students. It is designed to evaluate the English proficiency of non-native English speakers.
What is the NSCC English Placement Test?
This is a test for non-native English speakers. It is a FREE English placement test.
How long is the NSCC English Placement Test?
It is 2 ½ hours long. Be prepared to stay for the entire 2 ½ hours.
What is on the test?
There are five sections:
- Listening (not available for online testing)
- Reading & vocabulary
What are the test sections like?
- You will have a short conversation (oral interview) with the testing person for the speaking section.
- You will answer multiple choice questions for the listening, grammar, reading and vocabulary sections.
- You will choose a topic from a list. Then you will write about your topic for the writing section.
Where can I take the test?
At this time, all testing is online. Tests are by appointment. When you send your email request to take the test, you will be given an appointment to take the test remotely (online).
You must have the following to take the NSCC English Placement Test.
- Photo ID (with your name and picture)
- Computer or laptop (test cannot be completed on a phone)
- Reliable internet. Internet outages could cause an incomplete test.
- Zoom account and Zoom app on your device.
Important things you must do BEFORE taking the test:
- Submit your NSCC application for admission.
- Submit all required documents for admission.
Things to do on the day of the NSCC English Placement Test:
- Arrive 10 minutes early.
- Bring a photo ID and your student ID number. You get your student ID (A#) when you submit your application for admission.
- Be prepared to stay in the testing room for 2 ½ hours.
NSCC English Placement Test Dates
The NSCC English Placement Test is now available for summer and fall students.
Testing begins February 2021.
To schedule an appointment: Send an email to ESOL@nscc.edu.
Please include the following information in your email.
- Student A#
- Semester you want begin classes (summer or fall)
- Email address
- Phone number
All required documents for admission must be processed before you can take the test.
Contact Wendy Dierberger, ESL Coordinator
Office Hours: 8:00am–4:30pm
Nashville Campus Mon, Wed, Fri: Office K-108J
Kisber Building; 615-353-3380
Southeast Campus Tues, Thurs: Room 1502