Certificates & Non-Degree Seeking

Earn a Technical Certificate in just a year and immediately see the benefits at work. Try a few courses to see what you like, or take a single course to learn something new. Nashville State has several options if you’re looking for a non-degree program. Easily apply today!

Application Deadlines

Don't miss your chance to apply! Application deadlines are as follows:

Application Steps

Step 1: Application

Complete the Nashville State Application.

Apply Now

Step 2: Transcripts

High School Transcripts
High school transcripts or GED/HiSET reports are only required for students seeking a technical certificate or non-degree seekers under 21.

College Transcripts
Transcripts or the Transient Student Approval form are required for transient students. Transcripts may be required for registration purposes for non-degree seekers.

Step 3: Proof of Citizenship

Every student receiving in-state tuition, or receiving state public benefits, must provide proof of citizenship or lawful presence. There are many ways you can verify this. Documents must be presented in person or uploaded to your application status portal.

Student Types

Read the information below. These student types outline any additional requirements and information.

Technical certificates are 1-year programs that help students get a job or learn new skills for their current job. Students enrolled in a technical certificate program are considered non-degree students. 

If the certificate has college-level coursework, you will be required to take a placement assessment in addition to the steps above. Contact the Welcome Center for details. 

You are a special student if you are not enrolled in a degree program but wish to take one or more courses in order to gain employment skills, professional growth, or personal enrichment. 

Realize that although special students are not required to complete normal assessment procedures, the content of college-level courses assumes mastery of fundamental knowledge, skills, and aptitudes required for the course. Enrollment in a college-level English or mathematics course requires evidence you are prepared for the course content – evidence such as college transcripts, or placement test scores/ACT or SAT examination scores. 

You are considered a transient student if you are already enrolled in another institution but would like to take a limited number of credit hours during a term at NSCC. As long as you aren’t working toward a degree at NSCC, you may be admitted as a transient student. If any financial aid is available for you, you would need to contact the financial aid office at your home school. 

In lieu of submitting a college or university transcript, you may complete the Transient Student Approval Request Form. 

Nashville State also welcomes audit students who want to take courses not for credit, but for their own academic exploration and personal enrichment. Every audit student is expected to attend class but does not receive a letter grade or course credit. An “AU” will appear on the student’s record for completion of an audit course. Audit hours are counted in determining a student’s maximum course load. 

Audit students enroll in classes with space available on the first day of late registration, and do not incur a late registration fee. 

As an audit student, you may not: 

  • Change status from credit to audit or audit to credit once officially enrolled 
  • Audit college-prep courses 
  • Audit a TN eCampus course 
  • Use a fee waiver to audit courses if you are a state employee 

Need help with financial aid?

Let Us Help

Contact us

Call, email, or stop by anytime! The Nashville State Welcome Center team is here for you. If you want to speak with someone at a particular campus, find them on our Campuses page.


Welcome Center
2nd Floor of S-Building
White Bridge Campus


Monday-Thursday: 8 AM – 5:30 PM
Friday: 8 AM – 4:30 PM