A way for adults to start or complete their education.
Reconnect today, tuition-free.
Tennessee Reconnect helps Tennessee adults get their degree tuition-free
, equipping them with new skills and the ability to advance in the workplace and fulfill lifelong dreams. Please see eligibility requirements below.
TN Reconnect Updates
Due to COVID-19's potential ongoing impact on student enrollment, THEC/TSAC has extended the allowance for Tennessee Reconnect students to start the Spring 2021 semester enrolled less than part-time and remain eligible to participate in the program. THEC/TSAC will continue to monitor the impact from COVID-19 on our state to determine any additional accommodations which may become necessary. For questions, please email THEC.TnReconnect@tn.gov.
If you are receiving unemployment insurance through the state of Tennessee, you can now enroll in college full-time with Reconnect to Workforce to fulfill your Work Search Requirement for Unemployment Insurance and allow you to skill up and expand your career opportunities! Through Reconnect to Workforce, you can apply for the Tennessee Reconnect Grant and, if eligible, complete an associate degree or technical certificate tuition-free!
Reconnect Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for TN Reconnect, you must:
- Not already have an Associate or Bachelor degree (this includes foreign degrees also)
- Have been a Tennessee resident for at least one year preceding the date of application for the grant
- Fill out a TN Reconnect Scholarship Application listing your eligible college of choice
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) listing your eligible college of choice as the first school
- Be deemed an independent student. An independent student is defined as one of the following: at least 24 years old, married, a veteran, a member of the armed forces, an orphan, a ward of the court, or someone with legal dependents other than a spouse, an emancipated minor or someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. See complete list here.
- Apply to, be admitted, and enroll in a degree or certificate program at the eligible college of your choice.
- Must complete the FAFSA and TN Reconnect Scholarship Application for each academic year.
- Submit all verification documents, if selected.
In order to maintain the TN Reconnect Scholarship Grant, you must:
- Continuous enrollment every fall and spring semesters
- Maintain a Reconnect 2.0 GPA to maintain eligibility for the grant. (Eligibility is checked at the end of each academic year. If a student does not enroll in summer courses, this would be at the end of the spring).
- TNR will pay for Summer Semesters (Minimum of 6 credit hours)
Adults who meet all of the requirements will receive a last-dollar scholarship, which is equal to the difference between mandatory tuition and fees and any gift aid (grant, fee waivers, and state scholarships) that a student receives. It does not cover books or extra fees (such as fines, electronic books, online fees, etc.).
Even if you are using the Tennessee Reconnect grant, you can apply for Nashville GRAD. However, to be eligible for Nashville GRAD, you must reside full-time in Davidson County one year prior to completing the FAFSA.