Admission & Selection Process
Surgical Technology Application
Applications must be renewed each June to be considered for the following year.
General Information Sessions
If you would like to learn more about the Surgical Technology program, register for one of the following general information sessions. If you plan to apply to the program, you must attend an information session. Each meeting will be held over Zoom and last about one hour. Click on a link below to register.
Eligibility, Application, and Selection Process
Students will be seated in Core Classes based on successful completion of all criteria below:
- Fully admitted to Nashville State Community College (declare Health Science A.S. as major).
- Submit a complete Surgical Technology Program application during the current cycle.
- Applications are open year-round.
- Application must be renewed each June to be considered for the following year.
- Attend a General Information meeting (Dates listed in table above).
- Complete a critical thinking assessment.
- Complete at least five General Education courses (including electives) listed below.
- Completion of SURG 1410 and SURG 2299 (with grade of C or higher) guarantees placement
in Core Cohort for the subsequent semester (subject to achieving minimum enrollment).
- Core Classes: Must be admitted to program to enroll; must complete with a grade of “C” or higher to remain in the program. First Semester: SURG 1102, SURG 2399, SURG 2420.
- Pre-Requisite Course Requirements: Must complete the following courses with a grade of “C” or higher: BIOL 1000 Medical Terminology, SURG 1304 Basic Anatomy & Physiology, SURG 1305 Surgical Pharmacology, and SURG 2310Microbiology and Asepsis prior to beginning the Surgical Technology program (students may apply with course(s) in progress).
- General Education Course Requirements: Must complete a minimum of four of the following five general education course requirements: ENGL 1010 English Composition I, COMM 2025 Fundamentals of Communication, General Education Math or Science course, General Education Humanities course, General Education Social and Behavioral Science Course (students may apply with course(s) in progress).
- Students with an active certification as a Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) or a Central Service Processing and Distribution Technician (CSPDT) may receive prior learning assessment credit for the following classes: BIOL 1000-Medical Terminology, SURG 1304-Basic Anatomy, 6 credits of program electives.
- Complete the application process to Nashville State Community College (declare Health Science major).
- Attend a General Information meeting.
- Apply to the Surgical Technology Program (applications open year-round; must be renewed each June).
- Complete Reasoning and Critical Thinking Assessment Test.
If open seats remain in a Core Cohort after seating students with credit for SURG 1410 and SURG 2299, applications will be considered for applicants without credit for SURG 1410 and SURG 2299 and filled based on the following:
- Successful completion of at least five General Education courses
- Completion of all program prerequisites
- Critical Thinking Assessment scores
NOTE: Background checks and/or drug screenings are required by clinical sites as a condition of participation in the Surgical Technology A.A.S. program. Completion of the National Certification Exam is a graduation requirement of the A.A.S. in Surgical Technology program.
Email SurgTech@nscc.edu with any questions.