Nashville State Surgical Technology Program Goal Statement
The Surgical Technology program is an educational experience that produces competent entry-level surgical technicians in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains and prepares them to successfully complete the National Certification Exam. The program provides qualified and motivated applicant with experience in a learner-centered environment that is supportive and responsive to individual needs. Learning experiences are designed to help the student learn to independently apply sound theory to practice.
Student Learning Outcomes
|Learning Domain||NSCC surgical technology student learning outcome|
|Cognitive||Recognize elements of good patient care and prioritize them before less important elements in the operating room.|
|Psychomotor||Accurately plan for and perform duties of a surgical technician in the scrub role in common surgical specialties.|
|Affective||Behave professionally in a stressful environment with demanding personalities while remaining calm and focused.|
As a program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Education Programs (CAAHEP), the Nashville State Surgical Technology program works with the Accreditation Review Council on Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (ARCST/SA) to track, report, and assess program outcomes in five areas on not less than an annual basis: Program Retention (and completion), Outcome Assessment Examination pass rate, Graduation Placement, Graduate Satisfaction, and Employer Satisfaction. These outcomes are defined as follows:
- Program Retention: 60% or more of students will successfully complete the program within 100% of the program length.
- Outcome Assessment Exam: 100% of graduates will sit for the National Certifying Examination and 70% will earn a passing score on the first attempt.
- Graduate Placement: 80% of graduates will gain employment and/or continue their education.
- Graduate Satisfaction: 50% of Graduate Surveys will be returned and 70% of Graduate Surveys will indicate satisfaction.
- Employer Satisfaction: 50% of Employer Surveys will be returned and 70% of Employer Surveys will indicate satisfaction.
|Annual Reporting Year||2017||2018||2019|