High School Programs

Start college in high school.

Get ahead by earning college credit while you are a high school student. As part of the Nashville State high school programs, students can take courses at their high school if available, on any Nashville State campus or online.

Dual Enrollment Presentation

Dual and Joint Enrollment

Dual and joint enrollment allow high school students to take college courses that count towards credit. Dual enrollment awards both high school and college credit while joint enrollment awards college credit only.

Students should be aware that these courses are designed for the traditional college age student and adults. You may be exposed to content, language, discussions and education approaches appropriate for adults.

Requirements for Dual or Joint Enrollment

  • Junior or senior in high school
  • Minimum sub-score of 19 on the ACT in Math and Reading and 18 on the English portion*
  • Prerequisites of the desired course(s) met
  • Written permission from your high school principal and parents or guardians
  • To be eligible to receive a Dual Enrollment scholarship grant you must provide proof of U.S. citizenship/permanent residence or lawful presence when you apply for financial aid. Download acceptable documents PDF hereDownload acceptable documents PDF here.

*Continuing into the 2022-23 academic year, DE students with an unweighted cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher will be able to have prerequisites waived for courses that require them to be at the college level in the subject areas of reading, writing, and math. The HS GPA can be used in place of ACT, SAT, or Accuplacer scores.
If a DE student has an unweighted cumulative HS GPA of 2.8-3.59, and also a B or higher in the subject area of the college-level course they are wanting to take, they can also have prerequisites waived, provided they have approval from their high school principal (or their designee, such as a high school counselor).

If you wish to enroll in 12 or more college credit hours in the same term, you must also:

  • Submit an immunization form. Download the form here.

You must make a prior arrangement with your high school, umbrella school or local board of education in order to receive credit towards a high school diploma. Students are responsible for obtaining verification of transfer credit to a university.

Apply for Dual or Joint Enrollment

Download a Dual-Joint Enrollment Application now.

The only financial aid that dual enrollment students are eligible to receive is the Dual Enrollment Lottery Grant. View more information on the lottery grant here.

Dual Credit

Dual credit allows high school students to earn college credit for their CTE high school classes by taking a Dual Credit exam.

College credit earned through the Dual Credit program may transfer to other post-secondary institutions at their discretion. It is up to you, as the student, to contact the receiving college or university to verify if the credit earned will transfer. The credit earned is not listed on a Nashville State transcript unless you have completed Dual Enrollment classes or are enrolled to attend Nashville State after high school graduation.

For course equivalencies, view the application here.

How to Earn Dual Credit

  1. Talk to your CTE teacher or school counselor.

    Your CTE teacher or school counselor will help you determine if your high school participates or is eligible to participate. The high school can contact us to discuss options.
  2. Submit the Dual Credit application, the $25 exam fee and a copy of your high school transcript. Download the form.
  3. Go to class and pass the test.

    College credit is earned by passing a comprehensive test that covers the competencies of the college course. If you pass the final assessment, a letter along with a packet of information will be sent to notify you of the next steps.

    It is up to the individual Nashville State department to determine a passing score. College credit is not listed on a Nashville State transcript unless the student has completed Dual Enrollment classes or is admitted to attend Nashville State after high school graduation.

Early College

Nashville State and Metro Nashville Public Schools (MNPS) have established two Early College high school programs.

Early College at Nashville State White Bridge Campus

For more information on Metro Nashville Public Schools’ Early College High School program, visit the MNPS site.

Early College at Whites Creek High School

More information about the Early College at Whites Creek High School.

Contact Us


S-215F, Welcome Center
Student Services Building, White Bridge Campus