Veteran Benefits

Veteran Benefits

Use your education benefits wisely.

Nashville State is proud to serve our veterans.

Veterans and eligible dependents of veterans can apply for educational benefits from the Veterans Administration (VA). Contact the Coordinator of Veteran Services to complete the necessary forms. Learn about the requirements:


Ms. Gwendolyn Falin
VA Support Specialist

O: 615-353-3211
F: 615-353-3302

Office Location

Student Services Building, S-207H
in the Records Office
120 White Bridge Pike
Nashville, TN 37209

Getting Started

New VA Student

  • Apply for the GI Bill™ and receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA in 4–6 weeks.
  • The VA requires all schools to have a copy of military transcripts on file. Request that an official copy of your Joint Services Transcript is sent to our college. Create an account to request your transcript. *Applies to Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard veterans, Air Force veterans can request official transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF). Request your official CCAF transcript.
    For more information on Credit for Military Service/Prior Learning Assessment go here.
  • Privacy laws require that you register for classes before you turn in any paperwork. All classes must be required for your degree (prerequisites are approved for VA purposes).
  • Submit a copy of DD-214 (member copy #4) (for veterans only, not dependents), or if drilling with the Reserve or Guard, submit a copy of Notice of Basic Eligibility (Form: DD-2384) from Reserve or Guard Unit Officer but you must also apply for the GI Bill™ at in order to receive payment.
  • Fill out the Request for Certification (submit to the VA Coordinator each semester): Download Request for Certification Form PDF
  • Request for Deferment (optional to have your tuition/fees deferred; submit form to the VA Coordinator each semester; tuition/fees are due in full by the last day of class of each term): Download Request for Deferment Form PDF
  • Turn in Certificate of Eligibility once it is received from VA.

Continuing VA Student

VA Transfer Student

Register for your courses first, then turn in the required paperwork:

First-Time Dependent of Veterans

  • Complete an Application for Educational Benefits (Form: 22-5490): Survivors and Dependents Assistance and receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA in 2–4 weeks.
  • Register for classes then fill out the Request for Certification (submit to the VA Coordinator each semester): Download Request for Certification Form PDF
  • Request for Deferment (optional to have your tuition/fees deferred; submit form to the VA Coordinator each semester; tuition/fees are due in full by the last day of class of each term): Download Request for Deferment Form PDF
  • Turn in Certificate of Eligibility once it is received from VA.
  • Learn about benefits under the Fry Scholarship if you’re the child or surviving spouse of an active-duty Servicemember who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001: Fry Scholarship.

Prior Dependent of Veterans

Program Pursuit

  • In order to receive VA educational benefits, all courses taken must count towards the graduation requirements in your VA-approved program (Degree or Certificate Major).
  • Repeated (previously passed) courses from either transfer credit or courses that are taken at NSCC do not qualify for VA benefits. Additionally, any courses that are taken that do not count towards graduation credit in your program are excessive courses and do not qualify for VA benefits. In most cases, Remedial or Developmental courses are VA approved.

Transfer Credit For Military Service/Prior Learning Assessment

  • The Records Office will evaluate all applicable matriculation documents for transfer credit. That portion of transfer credit, which applies directly to your specific program, will be awarded towards your graduation requirements. Awarded credit will shorten the length of your program accordingly.
  • Send Joint Services Transcripts directly to the NSCC Records Office for evaluation and awarding of transfer credit.
  • After the Records Office reviews the JST, veteran students can choose to complete the application for Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) for review by the appropriate instructional dean. The Records Office will notify the veteran student after their JST was reviewed.
  • Previously earned credit, whether earned from another institution or military training, must be reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Once reported, prior credit is not required again unless new transfer credit is earned, or your degree program changes.
  • If military experience, education, and/or training are equivalent to a course that fulfills a general education or degree program requirement, the course credit will count toward graduation. Otherwise, appropriate course credit will be granted for elective credits.
  • If credit is not awarded through ACE recommendations, NSCC will offer veterans and service members other PLA options.
  • NSCC will provide veteran and military service members relevant information on awarding college credit for military education, experience, or training.
  • NSCC will provide contact information to veteran and military service members to the appropriate office for evaluating and awarding credits.
  • No more than 50% of the credit hours required to obtain an Associate degree or certificate may be earned through military service schools.

Veteran Grant and Scholarship Info

Helping Heroes Grant

Tennessee Helping Heroes Grant: A $1,000 grant per semester for eligible veterans. View Helping Heroes Grant info.

Search Scholarships:

Find over 1,000 scholarships listed exclusively for the military community. Use Scholarship Finder now.

Aid for Veterans and Military Families

Federal Student Aid sources of scholarships and loan repayment help for veterans and their family members. Visit Aid for Veterans and Military Families.

National Military Family Association

Explore military family resources and a military spouse scholarship program:

Federal Zero Percent Interest Student Loan Benefit for Military Service

The Department of Defense is collaborating with the Departments of Education (ED) and Veterans Affairs to educate service members and veterans about a significant student loan benefit based on their military service. For information, see the Department of Defense News Release.

Military Scholarships for Service Members, Spouses, and Dependents

This comprehensive list from U.S. Veterans Magazine provides a wide variety of scholarships available to veterans and their spouses and families. Click here to see the list.

CPT James Ahn Special Forces Memorial Scholarship

Annual scholarship for Special Forces veterans.
Apply for the scholarship

Nursing Scholarships for Veterans

Explore Nursing Scholarships

Educational Benefits Types

Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill™

Provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill™. Detailed information about the Post 9/11 GI Bill™.

Chapter 30 - Active Duty/Former Active Duty

Provides educational benefits for individuals entering the military service after June 30, 1985. (Reservists and National Guard members should refer to Chapter 1607 (REAP). Any previous recipient of “old” G.I. Bill benefits should report them as Chapter 30 on this form. Detailed Information about Chapter 30.

Chapter 31 - Veteran Readiness & Employment

For individuals who have a compensable service-connected disability, and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment handicap. Detailed information about Veteran Readiness and Employment.

Chapter 35 - Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program

For dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently and totally disabled from service-connected causes. Detailed Information about Chapter 35.

Related Benefits: Reinstated Entitlement Programs for Survivors - REPS
Free Tuition for certain SC War Veterans (see Veteran Benefits Answers below)

Chapter 1607 - Reserve/Guard

Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. Apply for CH 1607:

Chapter 1607 requires monthly verification of attendance while you are in school. You can do this either by calling the VA at 877-823-2378 or by logging in at

Tuition Assistance: Apply for TN National Guard tuition assistance via the Tennessee National Guard Application for the STRONG Act Tuition Reimbursement Program.

Once you have completed your part of the TN Strong application, email the entire packet to You will also need to download an NSCC Request for Deferment Form (PDF), complete it, and attach that as well.

VA Attendance Verification

Veteran Benefits Answers

Contact the Dept. of Veteran Affairs at 888-442-4551.
Inquire about the status of a pending claim through the St. Louis Regional Office Claim Inquiry.

Consult the Dept. of Veterans Affairs website for benefit pay charts. Contact the Dept. of Veterans Affairs (888-442-4551) for more specific information.

Submit an Enrollment Certification Request every semester.

Report any changes in class schedule (drop/add) within two business days to avoid over/underpayment of benefits.

Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill™)

Apply for the Post-9/11 GI Bill™ online. Look at the benefit comparison chart to be sure you are making the right choice before electing the new GI Bill™. The form requires that individuals currently eligible for another education benefit make an irrevocable election from their existing program to change to the Post-9/11 GI Bill™.

Remember if you are currently using Chapter 30 benefits and switch to Chapter 33 you will only have a total of 36 months of benefits between the 2 programs. However, if you use up all of your Chapter 30 benefits and then apply for Chapter 33, you may be eligible for an additional 12 months of benefits.

Monthly Verification for Chapter 30 and Chapter 1607

You must verify attendance to the VA every month to receive your monthly education benefit by phone if no changes by calling 877-823-2378 (877-VA-E-CERT) or online at on or after the 1st day of the month.

Degree Plan (Degree Works)

Get your degree plan using Degree Works, NSCC's academic planning tool. Enroll only in courses required on your degree plan in order to receive VA benefits. Have an updated degree plan with you always, especially when seeking academic advising and course selection for upcoming school terms.

Fee Deferment

Veterans and Dependents who applied for advance pay at least 45 days prior to official registration or who have not received a regular VA education benefits payment due to VA error may apply for fee deferment.

Complete the Fee Payment Deferment Request Form. This deferment allows you to wait for VA monies to make the first and all payments to the school. If VA has not paid by the end of the term, you are responsible to make all payments to the school.

Eligibility for deferment of payment of tuition and fees by certain eligible students receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or other government-funded educational assistance benefits: Download VA Eligibility for Deferment of Payment PDF

NSCC Catalog: See the Financial Aid section and the Payment Information and Business Services section.

Career One Stop

CareerOneStop is a great all-around site for veterans and family members. Their Veteran and Military Transition Center is a one-stop-shop for transitioning service members looking for employment, training, or financial assistance.

Veteran Logistics

Learn more about our Veterans Logistics program.

Military OneSource

Find support for military personnel and families: