Law Office Technology Technical Certificate
Your due diligence for success.
The Law Office Technology Technical Certificate is designed for attorneys, current paralegals, and students within the paralegal studies program to prepare students for the technology requirements for law offices, courts, and legal departments within a corporation. The program includes a core of legal technology courses that develop skills in software applications commonly used in business, law office technology applications used in the legal community, eDiscovery methods, and the ethics involved with technology. The Law Office Technology Technical Certificate is not an ABA-approved program and is not designed to train you to be a paralegal.
What is Law Office Technology?
The Law Office Technology Technical Certificate is a program that focuses on the technology software commonly used in law offices today along with the ethical rules for using this software. This program emphasizes the skills necessary to gather, create, utilize, and store information within law offices, corporations, government agencies, or while performing general legal research.
What skills are necessary to be successful with Law Office Technology?
- Ability to use legal research methods online and in print
- Creation of legal documents
- Knowledge of common billing software
- Utilization of Law Office Management Software or Law Practice Software
- Use of Microsoft Office programs
- Familiarity with electronic court filing and e-discovery software
- Understanding of the Ethical Rules governing law office technology
Reasons to consider this program:
- You work in the legal field or a related field and need to learn or update your technology skills to be competitive.
- You are currently enrolled in the Paralegal Studies program and want to add to your skillset.
- You are seeking to have a career as a Legal Data Analyst
Why Nashville State Community College?
- Adheres to the highest standards for education and performance
- Ability to receive certification in Westlaw
- Ability to receive certification in NSLT Law Office Technology and NSLT e-Discovery
- Option to receive certification in Relativity and eDiscovery
- Instruction in ECF/PACER to file with the Federal Court and to look up information within the Federal Court system
Students will benefit from:
- Small class sizes for individual attention
- Legal Speciality courses taught by licensed attorneys
- Computer courses taught by licensed professionals
- The option to complete the courses in the evenings without interruption to their work schedule
- Program completion in a year or less
- Legal Data Analyst
- Legal Document Specialist
- Court Clerk
This program is not designed to teach you to become a paralegal and is not an American Bar Association Approved program like the Paralegal Studies program. Students may complete this certificate alongside their Paralegal Studies A.A.S. Degree or Paralegal Studies Technical Certificate. The Law Office Technology Technical Certificate is not designed to replace the Paralegal Studies A.A.S. Degree or the Paralegal Studies Technical Certificate.